Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Thought Regarding Self Control

I was reading The Power of Concentration, by Theron Q. Dumont and, not too far into it, ran across the following excerpt:
I want you to watch the next person you see that has the reputation of being a strong character, a man of force. Watch and see what a perfect control he has over his body. Then I want you to watch just an ordinary person. Notice how he moves his eyes, arms, fingers; notice the useless expenditure of energy. These movements all break down the vital cells and lessen the person's power in vital and nerve directions. It is just as important for you to conserve your nervous forces as it is the vital forces. As an example we see an engine going along the track very smoothly. Some one opens all the valves and the train stops. It is the same with you. If you want to use your full amount of steam, you must close your valves and direct your power of generating mental steam toward one end. Center your mind on one purpose, one plan, one transaction.
Doesn't that hit like a ton of bricks? I don't know how self aware you are, but I know that I regularly fidget, or allow myself to be distracted by other stimuli when I should be paying attention to what the person I'm conversing with is saying. Furthermore, I had never really considered the way my unconscious fidgeting appeared to others. Truthfully though, when I think about the impression that type of behaviour makes on me, it seems as though this really is something to which I ought pay attention.

Food for thought, anyway.

Happy Selling!

No comments: